After the depressing post I wrote right before, I'm sure the "I want to kill students" post was slightly worrisome, but have no fear, my students are all alive and well. Their grades are not so lively right now, but I'm hoping the projects they recently turned in, along with their most recent vocabulary test, will help them out. I'm REALLY hoping that, because frankly, I'm getting extremely wounded by the things I hear through the grapevine (and read on Facebook) that my kids say about me when they're unhappy with their grades. I don't like that they forget that there's a difference between, "I wish that class weren't so hard," and, "She's SO mean!" They keep forgetting that getting upset with the work in the class is not the same as getting upset with ME, the person who has FEELINGS. Mostly, I know they don't mean the things they say, and I remind myself of all the things I've heard that are positive and complimentary. But still, it can sting.
At any rate, I did want to post, but couldn't quite wrap my brain around anything all that great. So, here's a meme I recently did on Facebook - the one I have for my students - slightly amended now that my students won't be reading it.
Ten Things I Wish I Could Say to Ten Different People:
1. Thank you for never giving up on me.
2. I am the one you should be with. Really.
3. Your life would be so much better with Jesus. Really.
4. Stop whining, you snippy brats!
5. Sometimes, you really hurt my feelings.
6. Do you ever wish we'd never met?
7. Grow up already.
8. You are not as great as you think you are.
9. I could do this so much better than you.
10. You probably saved my life.
Nine things about myself:
1. I am a picky eater - not as picky as some, but pickier than most.
2. I look good in hats.
3. I cry very easily at movies. VERY easily.
4. I am mildly dyslexic.
5. I sing soprano, even though my speaking voice is much closer to alto range.
6. I was in the Prom court my senior year of high school.
7. I procrastinate a lot.
8. I do not like visiting unfamiliar places unless I'm with someone I trust to lead me around.
9. I studied Spanish for 5 years and French for less than 1.5 years, but I teach French now instead of Spanish. Go figure.
Eight ways to win my heart:
1. Make God your center.
2. Love your family.
3. Look forward to being a parent someday.
4. Prioritize people over work.
5. Appreciate my singing to you.
6. Tell me you love me.
7. Dance with me.
8. Hold my hand.
Seven things that cross my mind a lot:
1. Whether I am pleasing God.
3. My family.
4. My future husband.
5. My students.
7. Things I wish were different.
Six things I do before I fall asleep:
1. Turn on the TV.
2. Wash my face.
3. Check my email (but not usually work email).
4. Check the alarm.
5. Think about work I need to get done.
6. Think about things I wish were different.
Five people who mean a lot to me:
1. Jesus - 'cause he's my homeboy.
2. My mom.
4. My sister.
5. J. (Yes, still.)
Four things you're wearing right now:
1. White t-shirt.
2. Warm-up pants.
3. Pink tank top.
4. Sports bra.
Three songs that you listen to often:
1. "Storm" by Lifehouse
2. "Cry Out to Jesus" by Third Day
3. "Fly" by Sara Groves
Two things you want to do before you die:
1. Get married.
2. Become a mother.
1. I am gaining tons of weight, but have no energy or motivation to work out to stop the weight gain. Blah.
Feel free to steal the meme! It's pretty fun, especially that first section...