Sunday, July 13, 2008

In Honor of My Mother

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, and I'm so glad that I was able to be here in Las Vegas to celebrate it with her. You all already know how much I love my mother - if you don't, just read this post - but there's always more to say. I thought a lot about what I might say in a birthday post for her, but one thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to take some new pictures with her to publish here when I wrote... whatever it was I was going to write.

So Mom and I went to a local park (in 90+ degree heat) with my camera and tripod so that we could have some more recent pictures together. (Our last photo shoot was June 2007 - pics can be seen here (end of post) and here.) I was able to get a lot of great shots out of the day, and really, any number of photos could have been used for a really touching post about how much I adore and admire my mother - both as a woman and a parent.

But hell, I'm way too cheesed up and sentimental when it comes to my mom, so instead, I offer you some humor. Here is what I like to call:

The Many Faces of Mom

Contemplative Mom: "I think, therefore I am."


Bored Mom: "How long is she going to make me sit here?"


Stoned Mom: "Dood, let's get some Fritos!"


Fortune-Telling Mom: "I'm getting a vision..."


About-to-Sneeze Mom: "I can feel it coming!"


Math Mom: "And this one is isosceles!"


Vogue Mom: "Strike a pose."


Taste-Tester Mom: "Mmm, tastes great!"


Crazy Mom: "You hear the voices too, right?"


Musical Mom: "The HILLS are aliiiiiiive..."


Scared Mom: "Dear God, what is that THING?!"


Yoga Mom: "Ohm..."


Snobby Mom: "I look down my nose at you."


Cheerleading Mom: "Rah! Rah!"


Melodramatic Mom: "I want to be alone."


Disgusted Mom: "I think I smell a fart."


Celebrity Mom: "No more paparazzi pictures, please."


So yeah, that's my mom for you. But before you go thinking I'm going to be completely irreverent through the whole post, here is one of my favorite pictures of the two of us together:

Happy birthday, Mom - I'll love you forever.

25 comments:

brooke said...

The "Snobby" one makes me hear "I fart in your general direction" in my head.

Moms are the best.

Kennethwongsf said...

You mom has a wonderful sense of humor. Obviously, she passed her lovely gene on to you too.

Big Sis said...

Fun! And having a mom that would sit still for so many pictures. Pretty much the only photos of my mom involve her sticking her tongue out (and then she wonders why we use them). Yesterday was my parents' anniversary. And the anniversary of my nephew David coming home from the hospital (7 months in, now 3 years out). Good day!

michelle said...

What aw onderful way to say Happy Birthday to your mom! I think I like "Cheeleader Mom" the best! You two certainly look like each other....and it looks like you will age well by how pretty and young she looks....Happy Birthday Lara's Mom!

Maggie said...

Those are great - Happy Birthday to her!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday Lara's Mom. Awesome Pictures Lara!

BetteJo said...

Looks like you're a very lucky kid - and she's a lucky Mom.

flutter said...

she is adorable

Lara said...

michelle - you know, it's funny. she sees pictures of herself and thinks she looks so old. i look and think, "i hope i age like that." :)

Princess New York said...

Nice work!

Damn, I was hoping I had (another) stalker.

So it is mere coincidence that we're both in Vegas this weekend, eh...? lol

What park did you go to?

Anonymous said...

Aw that's so sweet. And my mom would kill me if I did this! :)

Mojo said...

You can tell your mom I said the years are being far kinder to her than they have been to me. She's a beautiful woman.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is so, so beautiful. :)

And so are you!

Happy birthday Mrs Lara.

Jakki said...

Thats the kind of mom I hope I am...beautiful, fun and just enjoying life.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome post for your mom. You do know how much you are going to treasure these photos and moments forever, don't you?

She is beautiful. I adore her gorgeous hair.

PypersTune said...

That was just sweet.

Anonymous said...

Unbelievably sweet. My mom would NEVER let me take so many pictures of her. She'd just give me one look and hope I went away.

Lindz said...

Quite the photo shoot - very nice. I especially love the captions.

Susie said...

I wish I could get my mom to do that! Lovely pic of the two of you!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet beautiful post and a wonderful tribute to your mom. I'm sure she is very proud of you. I loved your captions with the photos, they were hilarious. Happy Birthday to your mom.

cherish.photography said...

You mom looks like she is loving the camera!

iMother2.0 said...

How FUN!!! Totally dig so many, but her cheerleading pose is one of my faves.

Melissa said...

I am so loving this; what a wonderful tribute to an obviously awesome lady.

Jaimee said...

what a fun photo shoot!

Cate Subrosa said...

He he what a funny post... and your mum is gorgeous :)