Okay, let me defend myself before anyone gets upset. I love little kids. And someday, I will love being a mom. This post is about appreciating my life in the here-and-now instead of wishing I were already there, with kids and a dog and a little white picket fence. This is NOT about taunting all my mommyblogger readers by pointing out all the great things I can do that they can't. Really, it's not.
So on with the counting of blessings...
1. I can take a bubble bath whenever I want, and I can stay in there as long as I want without anyone pounding on the door and demanding my attention.
2. When I order something tasty to eat, I don't have to share it.
3. If I don't have work in the morning, I can (and do!) sleep until 1:00pm.
4. The only ones I ever accidentally wake from an afternoon nap are the cats, and I can easily assume they'll make up for it in one of their 15 other daily naps.
5. I can wear brand new clothes without worrying about being the target of regurgitated breastmilk.
6. When someone asks if I want to go to Vegas on five days' notice, I can actually consider going without thinking about childcare.
7. At the park, I get to ride the swings, because I don't have to spend the whole time pushing someone else.
8. If I decide I want a motorcycle, I can get one and not worry about a carseat.
9. I can swear whenever I feel like it without worrying that it'll be repeated in polite company by someone who has no idea what it means.
10. My house can be decorated with as many sharp edges and breakable objects as I want.
11. When I want something out of a kitchen cabinet, I don't have to bust through a childproof lock before getting to it. This includes the liquor.
12. The only pooping that ever happens in this place happens in appropriate waste receptacles (i.e. the toilet or the litterbox).
And the last reason I'm glad I'm not a mom yet?
13. Being a mom really wouldn't be anywhere near as good as I imagine without a dad by my side.
How about you? Why are you glad to still be childless? Or, if you have a child/children, what do you miss most about the pre-kids days? (You can admit it - we all know there's gotta be something.)
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants