Monday, January 10, 2011

There's Probably a Metaphor Here Somewhere

My apartment is in a large converted Victorian house, and we park our cars back behind the house in what used to be stables. My parking space normally looks something like this:


Lately, though, it's been looking like this:

Let's zoom in on one of those webs, shall we?


Okay, so a huge spider has started living in the web that hangs right over the side I have to walk in to get to the driver's side of my car. Since I do possess some small amount of intelligence, I have devised a pretty simple - yet effective - avoidance tactic that looks a little something like this:
Head at crazy angle to avoid spider.

It's worked out pretty well so far, but I do have some concerns. Every morning when I have to go out to my car for work, I'm exhausted, because it's early, and it's dark, because it's early. So I'm a little worried that one morning, I'm going to forget to duck my head, and then we'll have this:


Huge spider + my face when I forget to duck =


Of course, the way 2011 has been going for me so far, this is pretty much exactly what I expect to happen some morning very soon. I'll keep you updated.

6 comments:

fjd said...

Sweet of you to let it hang out in your carport. I like spiders a lot.

Perhaps you could put a brightly colored post-it note up next to the web as a reminder to duck. You might ask the spider first, though, so the post-it's color doesn't clash with the spider's decor.

Rachel said...

Spider noooooooo

(Drawings are cute. Or as cute as can be when you've drawn a spider. noooooooo.)

Big Sis said...

:) I like that you're smiling. And drawing.

BetteJo said...

I'll just mention 2 things. Vacuum - or broom. That's it.

Anonymous said...

This one wouldn't be so bad... maybe even Tpiggy could tolerate it!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90166755

tpiglette said...

Ewwwwwwwwwww.
Nooooooooooo, not even that Ikea one. (And who is that, anyway? I suppose I have a guess...)