Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Posted by Lara at 8:45 PM

Some day, many years from now, a child of mine will sit in a classroom and learn about the election of the first African-American President of the United States. And I will be able to say, "I was there. I was a part of it. I was a voice, speaking out for change. I let myself hope for the future." And when I say it, I'll probably feel a tear or two roll down my cheek, remembering the power of the moment when I realized what we - all of us - had made possible.

Is that cheesy? Maybe, but I've been crying on and off today, finally coming to see how historic this really is, and how hopeful I really am. I believe. After all of these months, it's like a sigh of relief, and I'm allowing myself to believe in the hope of change. And I was a part of making that change possible.

It's an amazing feeling, the power, responsibility, and honor that comes with having a voice in the government of my country. I can be quite jaded and cynical sometimes, but for today, I really do feel like shouting, "God bless the U.S.A.!"

9 comments:

flutter on 10:24 PM said...

here is to hoping

Hanlie on 12:56 AM said...

I had to stay up all night to watch the results, but it was so worth it! I cried when CNN called it and I sobbed during President Obama's acceptance speech. I think people all over the world will remember this moment in history...

Mayberry on 7:03 AM said...

oh yes! I do too!

Mrs. Chili on 8:27 AM said...

Not cheesy. I've been choking back tears off and on all day. Mr. Chili and I decided, even, that Obama's inauguration is too important to miss; I just bought train tickets to DC and we're pulling the girls from school so we can say that we were there. This matters.

Issas Crazy World on 11:34 AM said...

I am so with you. I let my kids stay up and watch it last night. Might not mean too much to them now, but one day, they'll know what it meant exactly.

julaberry on 1:09 PM said...

From the other side of the world, we're with you. I am so proud of you for being part of such a momentous occasion.

Lisa on 1:13 PM said...

GOD BLESS THE USA! I am right there with you...yesterday was SUCH an amazing day and I can't believe that I got to participate in a little bit of history....

franz the mouse said...

woohoo!

Wolf Lover Girl on 5:15 PM said...

I was thinking the same thing... what will they be writing in the history books now? I found it interesting to read on CNN or MSN (I forget which) today about everyone around the world watching so closely our election. Wow!

~ Wolf Lover Girl

 

Life: The Ongoing Education Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos