I decided after yesterday's whiny, "I'm a failure" post, I needed to remind myself (and all of you) that I really am quite blessed to be where I am in my professional life. So here are ten reasons I love my job:
10) I get to work with my best friend, Tpiglette. There is nothing like knowing your gal pal is just a few classrooms away for calming stress. We can eat lunch together, we run a home group together, we take much-needed afternoon breaks to get caffeine from 7-11 together. And, in the black hole of first-year teaching, there is nothing better than a dear friend willing to make photocopies, staple homework packets, or grade vocab tests when you're about ready to fall apart.
9) I get to dress up in cute professional clothes and fabulous shoes. Not like when I was a nanny in sweats and running shoes every day.
8) My school is about 8 minutes from my house. Morning commute? SO easy.
7) My colleagues rock. Are there some people here I wouldn't mind never having to see or interact with? Yes, definitely. But I've to encounter anyone truly heinous, and for the most part, I get to interact daily with some awesome people. Besides Tpiglette, whom I've already mentioned, I also adore and admire my department lead, B., and her husband, J. They give me tons of support and advice - in fact, just today, B. gave me flowers and a card to encourage me after yesterday's rough afternoon. Plus, they're just all-around fun people.
6) I get to love and serve God openly every single day. People all have different beliefs, and what you believe may be completely different from what I believe, but I think most of us can agree that being able to easily blend your work with your fundamental beliefs is a pretty ideal scenario. I have a passion for God and His work, and I get to share that with students every day.
5) I get to talk about literature and the English language every single day. I am passionate about God, as I said, but I'm also passionate about English! I love discussing novels, studying grammar, learning vocabulary, writing, etc. So I get to stand up in front of my students and share that love. I think it helps them, too, to see their teachers really engaged with the subject matter.
4) I get to do fun "extra" stuff in addition to teaching. A couple weeks ago, I got to teach regency dance to the drama students for one of their plays. In January, I'll be chaperoning a student trip to Disneyland. And in June, I'll be accompanying kids on a service trip to Africa. Plus, I get to bounce through the air, get dunked in a tank, and all sorts of other humiliating yet awesome things. So cool!
3) Hot Teacher Guy. 'Nuff said.
2) I get to change lives. How cool is that? Maybe many of my students will forget me over the years - maybe many will leave my classroom completely unaffected by my presence in their lives. But some will always remember me. Some will be changed forever because of me. It is a terrifying responsibility and a tremendous honor all in one.
And the number one reason I love my job?
1) The kids. I love them. Okay, are there a few I don't always enjoy having in class? Yes. But for the most part, they're amazing. They like me, they respect me, and they make me smile. They are, without a doubt, the highlight of my every day.
Truly, I am blessed. What do you love about your job?