Sunday, April 27, 2008

Honoring My Dad

Posted by Lara at 10:47 PM
Today marks nine years since my father succumbed to colon cancer. I wrote about it pretty extensively last year (read here and here), so I'm not going to dwell this year. It's on my mind, of course, but I don't feel the same deep sadness that I felt last year. This year, I'm honoring my dad by living life, not remembering death. I went for a long walk in the sunshine, stopping to smell (and photograph) the roses, smiling and enjoying life. This, more than anything, is what my father would want for me - to remember him fondly, without stopping my own life to do so.

Also? My dad would have loved Google-age.


"caught picking a wedgie" - You can pick your friends, and you can pick your wedgie, but you can't pick your friends' wedgies. Or something like that.

i enjoy humiliating myself - Do what you love, that's what I always say. Can you find a way to make money doing this? Jim Carrey seems to have done well for himself...

sue me i have no money - Wouldn't that make you sort of a bad person for me to sue?

trident gum turned my child into a monster - You sound unhappy with the change. Has it ever occurred to you that your child might be *better* as a monster?

pictures of me in my underwear - My dad would be so angry at me if he were alive to see these.

my educational priorities - 1. Learn. 2. Be cool while learning. 3. Get drunk while learning. 4. Get paid to keep learning. (While cool and drunk.)

why people with no education have life so harder - Because those of us who do have an education mock them for leaving words like "much" out of their Google searches?

Because I love you, parenting classes - Thanks! I love you too, so here are some "How not to be a dick to your friends" classes. Fuck you, friend.

life answer machine - "Hello, this is life. I'm out causing problems for you and all your friends, so please leave me a message. If this is a complaint about me and your relationship with me, please wait for a moment while I laugh at your pitiful self before calling you back and laughing some more. KThxBye!"

winnie the pooh fart - I've nothing to say about this really. My dad just thought farts were about the funniest thing on the planet. Immature? Perhaps, but I loved him just the same.

Happy Sunday, all. Go hug your loved ones.

7 comments:

Marcus Aurelius on 11:49 PM said...

Krung Thai sponsors Hot Chix Dig? For some reason that's just completely hilarious.

Mrs. Chili on 3:27 AM said...

Honoring those who've gone before in a way that also honors US does get a little easier as time passes. My friend April was killed in a car crash two years ago, and her birthday was Saturday. I stopped for a moment to be still for her and then went about my day. I think she approved.

lspoon on 6:13 AM said...

Aw, I'm glad you're focusing on the positive this year. It's still so sad though. You must share those pictures :)

Mayberry on 6:59 AM said...

Nine years is a long time and yet just a wink, isn't it? Extra hugs to you today.

PS my word verification starts with d-a-d.

the kaiser on 10:31 AM said...

Wait...I'm not supposed to pick my friends' wedgies? That would explain all the weird looks I've been getting...

flutter on 11:42 AM said...

Sleep well, and gorgeous and whole, Lara's Dad.

Tori on 4:46 PM said...

Sending love and thoughts and hope those roses smell as awesome as they look!

 

Life: The Ongoing Education Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos