Wednesday, June 27, 2007

When Is Being Openly Groped a Good Thing?

Posted by Lara at 12:20 PM
When the alternative is a concussion and 12 stitches.

In social dancing, it's easy to want to apologize a lot. I'm as guilty of this as anyone - whenever I miss a lead, take a wrong step, fumble through a turn, or skip a break I apologize. "Sorry!" slips out of my mouth easier than "I'll take them all!" at a shoe sale.

But in spite of that, I always try to make my partners feel comfortable, and I try to remind them that the vast majority of the time, there's no reason to apologize. As I told my friend Eric once, "You don't need to apologize unless you cause me physical pain or feel me up."

That, however, was a number of years ago, and since then, I've realized that the feeling up doesn't require an apology either... in some situations. Check this out, for example:


That hand on her ass? That's what's keeping her from falling on her head, so if you ask me, there's no apology required. And that's in an actual performance aerial - so what about during practice?

When you first learn aerials, you practice them with spotters. The purpose of a spotter is to make sure the aerial works and that no one gets hurt. Sometimes a spotter actually helps make the aerial happen - helping with rotation in a flip, for example - and other times the spotter is just there to catch if someone falls. At rehearsal a few days ago, I spotted Kimmie in a flip, and she over-rotated slightly. I managed to safely hold her up, but I did accidentally catch her boob with my open palm at one point. But the fact is that when someone I'm spotting is headed for a fall, I'll catch him/her however I can to prevent an injury.

Similarly, my partner once caught me full on the butt instead of on my lower back to throw me, but I knew he was doing it because our prep was off and it was the best way to ensure my safety. He said sorry, but I said thank you. "Whatever keeps my skull from hitting the floor," I told him, "is just fine by me."

Seriously, folks: If you were doing something like this...


or this...


or this...


... wouldn't you endure a little grope-age to ensure your ongoing health and well-being?

14 comments:

alyndabear on 4:12 PM said...

I'd definitely take the groping. ;)

Seeser said...

Indeed. Groping = Well-being

Angela on 5:27 PM said...

Well, when you put it that way, sign me up for some groping!

Aussie Boy on 6:21 PM said...

Awesome! My new "I grope cause I care" t-shirt is so getting the slot next to my "Bristol Barabarians: Taking the 'the' out of 'psychotherapists'" t-shirt.

Let the good times roll!

tali said...

Hooray for dance-related groping =)

Aimee on 10:10 AM said...

So signing up for random groping is bad. Dance groping is good.
Sheesh. I've had it backwards all this time.

R U Serious?? on 2:46 PM said...

It's a 'grope-a-thon'!! Where do I sign up to become a spotter?

Tori on 6:43 PM said...

I would in fact opt for groping!
Good choice...I knew you were logical!

MDC on 8:53 PM said...

well put Lara!!! Protect those brains!!!

Frank on 10:09 PM said...

It's to endure that kind of situation, than to have an injury. I think everyone is mature enough to understand that.

Lara on 5:32 PM said...

aly - that should be your new tagline for any and all emails. ;)

seeser - einstein's 18th theory of relativity. excellent.

angela - you're signed up. would you like fries with that?

aussie boy - that's my favorite shirt of yours. the good times? they're rolling.

tali - who said anything about dance-related groping? all groping is good. ;)

aimee - signing up for random groping isn't necessarily bad. sort of depends on how you feel about the groper. :-P

r u serious? - unfortunately, spotting can be a bit dangerous too. jitta broke her nose spotting someone in a backflip once!

tori - or maybe i'm just desperate for a little action...

MDC - and the noses! don't forget the noses!

frank - you'd think we'd all be mature enough to understand that, but surprisingly, there are some people out there who aren't. sheesh!

Ed on 7:10 PM said...

True, safety should be our first priority. I believe it's better to be humiliated, than to have an accident. However, it would be worse if people would laugh at you because you were hurt.

jittacatgirl on 12:37 PM said...

i would endure grope-age from certain amazing blues dancers who share names with certain cartoon characters who spend a lot of time in their laboratories. lots and lots of groping.

Wolf Lover Girl on 8:01 PM said...

Those pictures are amazing!

Oh, and I'll take one of those shirts Aussie Boy, I'll give it to my husband... ;-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl

 

Life: The Ongoing Education Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos