Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Obligatory Mother's Day Post

It's Mother's Day today, and in my area of the blogosphere, with all the mommybloggers and whatnot, that's an occasion that fairly demands a dedicated post. The problem, though, is that I don't feel like I have anything worth saying on the subject, and frankly, I'm not terribly in the mood to post at all right now.

Here's the thing: I love my mom. Anyone who has the slightest doubt about that is clearly not very familiar with me and my site - go read this, for example. But I love her so much every single day that it seems utterly ridiculous to try to force poignancy on one given Sunday. She's here reading every single post, and that means the world to me, but if she doesn't find a post here on Sunday, May 11, 2008, extolling her virtues to the world, she won't feel any less loved.

Mother's Day is a great holiday for reminding us of all the work our moms have done in the world around us. We should be reflecting on what motherhood really is, and trying to incorporate that understanding into our daily lives. But today, I'm feeling the tiredness of motherhood, the isolation, the sadness. It's not the greatest part of motherhood, but it is a part, nonetheless. And - mother or not - it's the part I'm connecting with today.

Happy Mother's Day, everyone.